Saturday 26 May 2012

The Transformation

It has begun. I have slowly become transformed into a thru-hiker. After 278 miles of walking through everything from hot, dry, prickly desert to snow-covered, freezing mountain storms I have already weathered a lot. This transformation has reshaped me both physically and mentally. I remember one day as we were approaching the Paradise Cafe to grab our first burger in a week, we were noting how thru-hikers really not fully people and not fully animals but a good balance of the two. After my first 250 miles I feel I am finally starting to become comfortable with my thru-hiker self. Below I will share with you the many ways the PCT has transformed my budy (as my fellow thru hiker from Quebec, Karl, likes to say)

It's like my pack wasn't even there!
Hiker Legs- All I can say is wow! It is amazing once you grow your hiker legs. I think I first officially realized I had my hiker legs when I climbed Mt San Jaciento (climbing over 1.5 vertical miles to beat the sunset making it just in time). Another thru-hiker I've been hiking with, Alex, and I raced up this mountain with our full packs and it was astounding how it didn't even feel like I was climbing. It was more like I was falling forward and my legs just kept propelling me onward. Now I'm putting in 25+ mile days having just finished my biggest day yet of 33 miles, (which beat my record of hiking 32 without a pack) so clearly I have earned my hiker legs.


Much cooler hiking at night!


Night Vision Eye- It is amazing how wonderful it is to hike at night. At night there is no sun, little wind and a nice cool temperature to close out your day. However I don't like relying on my flashlight and have grown a pair of night vision eyes that can get me through any night hike. With the clear skies and amazing stars there is often plenty of light even with the new moon. I cannot wait until I get into the Mojave and can take advantage of the full moon to avoid the 110+ degree temperatures during the day.






Rabbit Ears- You wouldn't think hearing is too essential for hiking until you encounter your first rattlesnake. I have already run into two on the trail, luckily with no problems. It is great to be able to hear their rattle because life-flight helicopter rides aren't always easy to catch. I just need to learn to not put both of my headphones in when I listen to my iPod so that I can always have one ear to the trail to beware of the rattlers.


These guys are always alert, and camouflaged! 

Paws- Paws are probably the best way to describe the calluses that have developed on my feet. Hiking in trail running shoes means that your feet are much more in tune with the Earth. (ie. you feel all the rocks) Luckily my feet have proven to be quite blister-proof with only a few here and there and instead have developed these thick calluses where I feel less and less of the sharp pointy rocks on the trail. Even when I get into camp and take off my shoes I am surprised how easier it is becoming to walk barefoot. At the same time my ankle are constantly in a swollen state but not in a bad way. I like to think this helps them get thicker and stronger. Finally as you walk a lot your feet become flat as a pancake. I didn't think I would happen but sure enough I can see them getting wider and wider each day.

Desert Skin- I have described my desert skin in a previous post (layers of dirt, sweat and sunscreen) but thought I should add one additional component that unfortunately occurred during this last stretch; sunburn. Unfortunately when you are baking in the hot sun only focusing on the road you are trying to get to off in the distance, you sometimes forget to apply sunscreen. Therefore my desert skin was not complete and I developed the alternative. My sunburn went away fairly quickly but it was no fun wearing long-sleeves hiking in the hot sun to help cure my sunburn.

Yup. A mound of dirt and grease.
Mat of Hair- Finally I have acquired a nasty mat of hair to top off my new thru-hiker body. With no water to wash in, my long hair has quickly become a tangled, greasy mess. I have found that I can put it back in a bandana and it will stay slicked back even after I take the bandana off. Also the other night when we had a freak snow flurry just outside of Big Bear Lake I realized my hair also serves as a nice hat and keeps me warm at night. (Along with any critters living in there)
While I anticipate further transformations as I go, it is impressive how much you do adapt when you have been thru-hiking for two weeks. I can't even imagine what I will be like at the end of the hike!

2 comments:

  1. This post made me so jealous. I hope ot earn my hiker legs someday soon. You are such a badass, Matt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where's the picture big guy? I'd like to see some documented proof of this transformation...

    Keep the good blogs coming!

    ReplyDelete