Tuesday 25 September 2012

Trail Tested Thru-Hiker

That title may be a bit of an overstatement seeing how this year all the thru-hikers made it through the Sierras without an ice axe and have had so little rain the entire way, but 2,400 miles is still 2,400 miles. I mailed this entry to Emma from Snoqualmie Pass  just outside of Seattle on I-90, and it is crazy to think there are just about 260 miles of the trail left until I reach Canada. I have been out on the trail for over 4 months, and it's amazing how hiking each day has simply become my way of life. At this point in my trip, nearing the end, I thought I'd take some time to reflect on my new way of life out here on the trail and many of the ways it will be a tough adjustment once I run out of trail to hike.
Good thing there are always more trails to hike!

Exercise 

When hikers are out on the trail, they tend to be burning calories all day long and never really think much about it. Many days I am hiking over the distance of a marathon so clearly, by the time I get into camp, I am not looking to do anything physical. However, hiking (walking) only exercises legs and a little core carrying a pack; it doesn't offer any upper body work. Now, I am no body builder, but I've noticed my arms becoming so skinny I can almost wrap my hands all the way around them. I actually ran into an older hiker, Kindergarden Cop, who would find a large rock every day when he'd break for lunch and do a little upper body routine. I also hiked with 2 guys who would do pushups during each break, which I couldn't even try to do do when I would take breaks. The bigger issue I've been having is finding the motivation to stretch out. I really tried to work on my flexibility before the hike which I think helped a lot, but when I've been out on the trail, I, like many hikers, haven't done a good job of stretching at the start or end of each day. When I get up, it's often too cold to stretch, and I just want to pack up my stuff and get moving. Then, when I get into camp, I have all of my chores like setting up my hammock and tarp, getting water, cooking, and so forth, and by the time I'm done, it's dark, and I'm just ready to go to sleep. While I have good cardiovascular strength and my hiker legs, my exercise out here clearly isn't ideal.
Camp, dinner, bed, and watching the sunset...pretty sweet.

Food

At this point on the trail, I have really gotten into a routine with what I eat while hiking. I know what fuels me to be able to do all of my miles for that day, and at this point, I really try to not deviate from that diet. The problem with my trail diet is that I am not at my final straw with certain foods. This past section, I've finally realized that I cannot eat anymore cold instant oatmeal for breakfast, but I've already mailed it ahead in my two remaining resupplies in Washington, so I guess I'm locked into my food. Even if I would get any final creative ideas for trail meals, I've already mailed all of my food out at this point. All the resupply points in Washington only have convenience stores, so most hikers simply mail their food ahead. However, getting down to the last 2 weeks, I think I can tough it out. I also never thought it could happen, but even the Pop-Tarts aren't doing it for me anymore. All I know is that it will be a long time before I ever eat any instant rice, noodles, or mashed potatoes after I am done with this trip.

No more Instant Meals after this...
...but my Pop-Can Stove has been great!

Hygiene 

Being out in the woods for over 4 months, I've started to realize how I really can get by just fine without washing every day. I have gone days with feet caked in dirt; wearing sweaty, salty, and filthy clothes; and hair so greasy I don't need styling gel to keep it slicked back. Every time I get into town, I take one shower to do my initial pass, but it really takes a second shower before I can actually consider myself clean. I've also discovered dirt can almost stain my skin, and no matter how hard I scrub, some of it just won't come off (especially on my feet). I've learned that a typical pair of dress socks can be worn every day for a week before developing significant holes, but a nylon pair are lucky to ast a day. I have also been amazed how I can wear the same T-shirt for a whole summer, only washing it once a week, and it's still holding up beautifully. I think that over the course of the last 4 months, I have probably eaten more dirt that the average American does in a year but luckily have yet to get sick. I've started to realize how for I can push the limits and still stay healthy, but I will certainly be glad to no longer stink up wherever I am. I must admit that there is one area where my hygiene has improved which is brushing my teeth. I've perfected the art of brushing my teeth while hiking and find it a good way to pass the time. So, I've actually been doing a better job of keeping my teeth clean (which is good, because I've heard dental problems is the #2 reason people have to leave the trail, second to bad feet).

Squeaky Clean!
Time to Switch to a New Pair?


















Sleeping

I think my sleeping schedule has been the craziest. I find it pretty funny how I'm having one of the best summers of my life and going to bed before 9am almost every night. I am so used to just grabbing my dinner, writing in my journal, and then heading off to bed after sunset. I have also gotten so used to sleeping out under the stars. With so little rain, I've rarely used my tarp and just lie in the element in my hammock, but I have now figured out how to sleep on my side and even curl up in my hammock. When I do get to stay in a hotel every now and then and sleep in a bed, I find I don't know how to sleep when I can stretch out my arms and legs. I end up rolling all over and tossing and turning, not knowing what to do without being confined in my mummy bag. I also have be used to waking up with the sunrise around 6am without even needing an alarm. The great thing about being out here is that I have gotten plenty of sleep, and I really don't even wake up too often in the middle of the night.
Trees...
...or no trees. 











By now, I feel like I have become one with the trail and could really just keep doing this forever. However, all good things must come to an end, and once again, I will have to get used to a new lifestyle this time being off trail. Let's just hope the transition will not be too hard, and I don't try to hold onto too many of my hiker habits as I try to fit back into society. 

No comments:

Post a Comment