Monday 16 July 2012

Hope for Mankind

If you ever loose your faith in humanity I highly recommend a thru-hike of the PCT to restore it because I have met so many people who go far above and beyond the kindness you would expect and so far out of their way to help us hikers. If you think about it the very nature of a thru-hike is quite selfish. You aren't contributing to society by not working, you have temporarily ditched all your family, friends and close relationships and then you rely on the kindness of strangers to get you through. There is a whole network of people who aid thru-hikers in their trek and since I'm currently staying with yet another pair of amazing trail angels here at the Red Moose Inn in Sierra City I thought I'd introduce you to all the wonderful types of people you meet along the trail.

Trail Angels


While this term is used loosely for anyone who helps a thru-hiker it is most commonly associated with someone who opens their home to let a whole herd of hiker trash come take advantage of all their many resources. While it varies from place to place at these trail angel stops you may be offered showers, laundry, internet access from their computer, water, camping or a bed/cot, a place to relax for the afternoon, shade, foot baths, snacks, info and sometimes even meals all just out of the trail angels' generosity. Many of us keep asking what motivates these acts of kindness and most time we just get the quick reply of "what motivates you to hike from Mexico to Canada?" I think the answer lies in all of the fun people trail angels get to meet, the appreciation, gratitude, and thanks we all try to show for their hospitality and the fact that they get to play a direct role in helping someone else achieve their dream of completing the PCT (but this is just my best guess).

Trail angels are probably my favorite part of the PCT and its so interesting to hear their stories and see all the support they give each year to hundreds of strangers. They foster the culture of the trail too providing gathering places for hikers to rest and meet each other when they may not cross paths out on the trail. So many of the fellow hikers I have met have been at trail angel stops and it is so exciting when you can reunite with people you haven't seen for weeks. I have so many great memories at the different trail angel homes once again making the off trail experiences so much a part of the PCT. Trail angels truly do make the PCT what it is and I'm sure they have helped many people finish by providing the extra support every thru-hiker needs at times.

Rides/Hitching


Before this trip I had only hitchhiked twice in my life. Once for a short trip while I was working in the Wasatch Cache National Forest in Utah and another when I was coming back from the Juan de Fuca trail on Vancouver Island (which was such and easy hitch because Canadians are so friendly). At first I was very intimidated by the idea that I'd have to hitch and find rides but it has turned out to just add to the adventure. Its amazing how few times you actually have to stick your thumb out by the road because oftentimes you meet people at the trailheads or in town. One of my favorite rides was from this pastor/psychologist I met in Wrightwood who offered me a ride out the next day. I had forgotten his address but it turned out the town was small enough that I ran into him the next day at a cafe and got a ride out to the trail.

Hitching can be a bit more hit or miss. I think its usually easier to catch a ride into town than get a ride out to the trail. My theory is that cars can easily figure out you are a PCT hiker when you are coming from the trailhead but when you are leaving from town you could just be any old bum. My strategy for hitching is to look as clean as possible, smile (but not like a crazy person), stick out my thumb, then when they are about 100 ft from me I'll start to wave (which I do as a friendly gesture to show that even if they don't stop thanks anyways) which is my final chance to get them to stop. I'm starting to pick up some of the hitching signals too. For example if someone holds up their hand like they are trying to squish a bug between their thumb and fingers it means they are just going a little bit further down the road. Its amazing how some hikers are so good at hitching and can get rides from the toughest spots. I think the key is patience and persistence and only once so far did I cave in and split a taxi with a fellow hiker. The best way to get a ride to the trail though is to make friends with people at the trailhead or locals in town. Regardless there would be a lot more hiking dangerous roads if it weren't for these generous drivers. I am so grateful for all their help even if I do prefer hiking over driving.

Water Caches


One of the most important forms of support trail angels offer is by supplying water caches int he dry parts of the trail. Imagine buying water or filling 20-50 gallons of milk jugs or two liters then hauling that water up remote dirt roads miles from civilization to leave for strangers you likely will never see or meet and you get nothing in return. Plus if you commit to leave a cache hikers may start to depend on it meaning you have to worry about keeping it resupplied at all times for the 500+ hikers who come through meaning you will have to make many trips back to resupply it. Lately we haven't needed any water caches in the Sierras, but I'm afraid I will be looking for them again soon in the arid stretches up ahead in northern California and southern Oregon.

One of the lessons I have learned is to never rely on a water cache and instead use it as a great treat to rehydrate with. You never know when it may go dry and don't want to be stuck without any water for another 10-20 miles. I also always have a bit of a moral dilemma when I get close to a cache that is running low. You don't want to take too much water but never know if it may be refilled soon after meaning you may have missed an opportunity to take more water. Also I always feel guilty because these people, who arguably help us where we need it the most, rarely get to meet all the hikers they help. All we can do is leave a note of appreciation which can never capture how much they actually helped us. I heard that the Third Gate Cache in the San Felipe Hills (yes, the ones we really depend on have well known names) is stocked by a couple in their 70's who have to actually hike the water in a ways to get it close enough to the trail for us. I have the most respect for these anonymous heroes who help keep me hydrated on some of the toughest stretches of the PCT

Trail Magic


Trail magic is one of the most exciting parts of the trail and I sadly missed so much of it by starting later. Trail magic occurs when you are hiking along and come across a cooler, or better yet some people camped out, who have food, drinks and other goodies just for PCT hikers to indulge themselves with. I had come across some coolers in southern California which were such a welcomed treat but when I got to Walker Pass at highway 178 there were two awesome trail angels, Okie Girl and Jackalope, who were cooking up food and had so many snacks and drinks which was a total surprise and blew me away. This type of trail magic is like a big tailgate for hikers and is pure awesomeness! Talking with other hikers there was lots of trail magic like this following the herd through southern California including some margarita magic outside Idyllwild for Cinco de Mayo.

Trail magic tends to be found next to roads so when we were up in the Sierras without crossing a road for hundreds of miles there wasn't much either (except for the awesome John Muir Trail hikers or weekend hikers who wanted to lighten their load by offering some of their food to us starving PCT hikers). However after Yosemite whenever you reach one of the passes when the highway managed to cut through the mountains you could almost always count on there to be trail magic waiting for you. I was turning into a park bear because where I knew we were about to cross a road in the back of my mind I was always expecting there to be treats waiting for me. Luckily I didn't start raiding picnics or charging peoples cars when there wasn't food and no rangers had to come and put me down. However warning to anyone who offers trail magic, if you feed thru-hikers they can get accustomed to people food which can lead to bad things. Unfortunately now that the herd is spread out and hikers come by in more of a steady stream instead of larger groups, we will likely see less and less trail magic. There is never a better feeling than seeing a smiling face waiting for you with candy and chips and a cooler full of pop and beer.

Want to Learn More?


Well you are in luck because one of the hikers I met on the trail this year, VirGo, has been working on a documentary about trail angels on the PCT. He started interviewing people last year and this year is hiking the trail and taking more footage as he goes. It sounds like an awesome project and I have lots of respect for him hiking and working on this because it takes a lot to find the energy to do interviews and get the shots while you are trying to hike the trail at the same time. I wish VirGo the best of luck with this project and you should all check out his website below.

PCT Trail Angels

No comments:

Post a Comment