Saturday 16 June 2012

Farewell Southern California

My spot at Kennedy Meadows. 
Me at Kennedy Meadows.
I've finally reached Kennedy Meadows which means I am done with Southern California and moving on to the beautiful Sierras, heading out on parts of the John Muir Trail (named after one of my all time heroes). People have been talking about the Sierras these past 700 miles, and we are finally here; it's hard to believe. Coming into Kennedy Meadows, seeing  the valleys open up, and taking a dip in the South Fork of the Kern River, I remember thinking I was entering heaven. Southern California finished off with a vengeance as well with tons of 20-mile waterless stretches. These last three days I've run out of water for a couple of miles in the hot afternoon and have never been more thirsty. It's great to get into Central California, and I thought I'd take a moment to bid farewell to everything I loved and hated about Southern California. 
See him?
Goodbye lizards and snakes scurrying across my path. So long dirt and dust that have found a way to penetrate through every layer of my clothing. See ya later dirt flies constantly trying to suck out my eye juices. Adios Lagunas, San Felipe's, San Jacintos, San Bernardino's, Tehachapi's. 
Farewell Joshua Trees who are constantly cheering me on with your spiky Pom Poms. Good riddance Poodle Dog Bush and your toxic nastiness overcrowding the trail. Take care long rolling plains of grass changing colors as you billow in the wind. Adieu prickly desert plants that appear to have invaded the desert from another galaxy;
Maybe Dr. Seuss' inspiration for Truffula Trees?
Even 1 was dangerous...but there were 100s!
Take it easy blazing hot sun and bright bright moon. I'll miss you amazing trail angles storing water that was essential for me getting this far. Peace wind that has been strong enough to even knock me off my feet with my pack on. Au revior long endless sections of burnt forest and all the amazing regrowth restoring the region. And thank you shoe for lasting all this way over 4 years and 700 miles up to Central California. 
Water. Water. Water. 

Finally. Thank you. 




While I was so worried about making it though southern California and dreading this first part of the trail, I have been amazed at how awesome the scenery and trail have been. I was not expecting the massive mountains, beautiful plains and deep canyons. I also was surprised how much even the desert grew on me (after I learned how to hike it during the right time of day). I can't believe I'm saying this, I will indeed miss you Southern California. However, my sights are on the Sierras, and I can't wait to get back on the trail.
I will never forget this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment